This workshop will take you through the basic use of Git and GitHub. Git is a free and open source distributed version-control system designed to maintain code, track changes, recover old versions and collaborate with other developers.
Get you started with Git from zero (note that if you already use Git, this workshop will be too basic for you). We’ll explore Git on the command-line and its interaction with GitHub.
- Introduction, set-up & configurations
- Working locally: Create a repository, clone, edit, staging commits, commit & push
- Working with your history & logs
- Working in a project: Branching & pull requests
- Collaborate with other people in your project
During the workshop we also briefly discuss how you can setup a collaboration project.
Some basic knowledge of the command-line is STRONGLY advised for this course (e.g. this tutorial).
Bruna Piereck, VIB Bioinformatics Trainer and ELIXIR Belgium Training Coordinator
Edition Summer 2023: https://github.com/vibbits/introduction-github